I'm so happy with how this all turned out and to share it with you! I finished the gate and knew at once it needed a wreath. I save some twisted looking branches from our last house for a project just like this. I think it's pretty self explanatory but I'll give a few more details on how I did it. But first the final project.
The way I made the wreath is pretty simple. I traced two bowls, differing sizes onto a piece of a cardboard box. I cut the circle and hot glued some burlap around it. This created the base to glue my twigs to. I hot glued the twigs around the circle then started on the rosettes. Here's a picture of the backside of the wreath. The metal ring is to hang on the gate. I just used a ton of hot glue and it's held in place just perfectly. Kind ghetto, but hey, it works!
I was going for a FREE project here so spending money on the perfect blue fabric was out of the question. I was about to cut up a spare bed sheet but my hubby was resistant. I asked him what else was made of blue fabric that I could cut up. He told me he had a couple old work shirts that just happened to be the shade of blue I was looking for! Yeah for recycling! I followed directions from previous bloggers about making rosettes out of fabric and after making enough to cover where I glued my twigs I hot glued them on as well. Here's a close up of the rosettes:
So simple, yet so fun, bright and cheery! I love the end result and that this whole project cost me $0.
I'm going to start posting some of the projects that I've been working on the past six months. I'm having so much fun working with wood and reclaimed pallets. Here is a project that I made after the inspiration I got from Pinterest. I made my gate based on the size of the wall I was going to be putting it. I'll post the final pictures tomorrow with the wreath that is going to finish the ensemble. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the process, just the end result. This was a super easy project to make and the first of many of the free pallets I scored.
I ended up painting it with some watered down acrylic paints and did more of a whitewash finish on it. I painted it the green color to go in my kids bathroom that I'm decorating in fun bright colors. Enjoy!
Here's another project I made using my jigsaw. I followed all the same steps as I did on my previous post, Love Sign.
The only thing different I did with these letters was add some scrapbook paper. Oh the possibilities!
This was my first project using my jigsaw. I'm happy to report it was much easier than I thought. JD bought me a little jigsaw from WM for about $20.00. The key for success in working with a jigsaw is using the correct blade. If you want to cut out letters or shapes, make sure you use a wood cutting blade that is used for scrolling or has a larger TPI.
Here's an assortment pack I bought at WM that has several different sizes. The blades on the left are for wood and the blades on the right are for metal. As you can tell I haven't used the metal blades yet, but I will soon and report on my experience. So, for the wood letters I used the 10 TPI blade and it worked wonderfully. I found a font I like and printed it out on my computer. Then I cut the letters out and traced onto a scrap piece of MDF I had in my wood stash. Before cutting make sure you have your wood clamped down to a saw horse so you have a nice tight area to cut. Next cut out the letters. I watched a few YouTube videos on how to use a jigsaw before starting. Once the letters are cut out sand and paint. Finally, I glued the letters onto a scrap 1x6. I had so much fun with this project and will be showing more that I've done with my jigsaw. I'm so excited to know that now I can cut out any letters from wood and have no need to purchase pre-cut letters at the craft store. SCORE!
I love all the button crafts I've seen all over Pinterest. I wanted to use some white buttons for Valentine's Day and finally decided on using them in the shape of a heart. I got the frame at a thrift store for $.50 all it needed was a fresh coat of red spray paint. Next I hot glued some buttons, added vinyl wording "adore", and finally a white ribbon. Easy but perfect for my Valentine decor.